Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

This one time we tried to kayak with a baby

Sometimes I hate scouting. Let me explain.

"No. There is too much. Let me summup."

I love Kayaks. Ocean yaks, rec yaks, inflatable yaks...

Canoes suck, end of story. But Kayaks! They're so easy to push through the water and steer. I fell in love the first time I ever set foot in one. I couldn't shut up about them, so my husband bought us a pair for my birthday the first year we were married. Only he never purchased a rack to go on our car so we couldn't take them anywhere. Long story short, we only used them once in our first 2 years of marriage... and it was in Tempe Town Lake.

Here are our beauties. They weep because they have never seen lake nor river.

OK, back to scouts. Now, my husband is involved in scouting. You know, Boy Scouts. And sometimes I hate scouting. Mostly because they try to do a camp out once a month and I'm never invited.

Nevertheless, here my husband was, sitting in a scout council with the other leaders in the troop planning some high adventure trip and he promises them our kayaks. My kayaks! The ones I've only ever used once --sorta-- in the 2 years we've owned them.

No. Absoulutely not. No way. I refused.

There was no way those little pip squeaks would get to use those angelic water vessels on a real lake (fake lake) in the actual woods before me. Childish? Bratty? Yes. But hey, that's me.

Panicking, because he already promised to let the boys use them, he began to negotiate. "What if I take you on a kayak trip before they go? We can camp over night?"

I agreed.

But lets look at our itinerary for just a moment:

    June 16-22:  My sister comes to visit with her fam
           June 25-26:   Kayak trip
June 27-Jul 1:  Family Reunion in Illinois
            Jul 1-5:  Trip to see my family in Indiana
                Jul 5:  Make sure our entire house is packed up
                Jul 6:  Move all of our crap to Tucson
So you know...we weren't really setting ourselves up for success to do this trip with an infant. But by golly I was going to kayak the crap out of this trip.

Over the next few days I'll do some reviews of some of the products we used on this trip. I'll probably also give some tips and pretend I know what I'm talking about too.

Don't let that sweet face fool you. She was not happy about what was happening.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm new to the Outdoor Bloggers Network, too! Kayaking is my favorite outdoor activity and I can totally relate to yours sitting up there on the wall. My husband and I bought ours about a year ago and we don't have a roof rack either, so we throw them up on my Subaru and hope they don't fly off and kill someone on the way to the lake. They have been used a total of 3 times and get more wear and tear from us trying to take things in and out of the little storage area where they hang! Hopefully we'll be doing more kayak trips soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I suggested the no rack system to my husband, but he didn't seem too keen on the idea. Actually, we went on a cross country trip once and some guy drove past us with his canoe DUCT TAPED to the roof of his car. No joke! Whatever it takes to get out there I guess!

      Delete
    2. Haha! You're right, whatever it takes!

      Delete